Who We Are
Haven Church is a friendly, Bible-believing church in the small Cornish fishing village of Gorran Haven. Its services are open to all who wish to worship God and learn more of Him.
Just like a ship, a church needs an anchor. That anchor has to be secure and certain - unaffected by time or fashion. Since the formation of Haven Church in the last century its anchor remains unchanged. The basis upon which this church stands is contained in the Bible, which is the clear and final authority for faith, doctrine and conduct.
In the 1860's a group of eleven men from Gorran Haven and Mevagissey scoured the area in the hunt for a suitable building to erect a place of worship. Most of them had witnessed the great revival in Mevagissey just over 30 years before when God moved in the fishing village in a mighty way. People inside their homes, crying to God in mercy, could be heard by passers-by in the streets outside.
St Just Church, Gorran Haven had been used as a fish cellar for over a century. However, it seems that in 1812 the Congregationalists of Mevagissey moved into the Haven using St Just as their Meeting House and referring to it as the old Chapel Cellar. Their numbers grew to around 70 in the 1850's. By now the church wanted their own building and eventually bought a plot of land on the 24th January 1863.
The eleven men included a carpenter, a mason, tailor, draper, cordwainer and some fishermen. They set about building a chapel from local stone, much of which was hauled back by horse and cart from Vault Beach.
Once completed, Haven Church became a member of the Congregation Union whose history dates back to the Puritans of 1581. In the early 1970's, Haven Church freed itself from any denominational bias. A small pastoral oversight committee now administers the church and all maintenance and development costs are largely financed internally.